Community activity, fundraising for great student activities.
The A4A program is a parent-driven initiative which aims to enable new and diverse activities for students. It does this by parents hosting fun activities for other parents, students and the community in order to raise funds. The aim is to support new and varied experiences for TGSHS students. The program taps into the skills and interests of the community to support engagement, entrepreneurial leadership, creativity, innovation, and well-being. Watch the video. Or See school website.
How does it work?
In brief, parents (or others) volunteer to run “activities” for parents, and/or children/staff. Activities can be run anywhere, including at school. A small per-person fee is paid by participants. The activities are as diverse as human interests: DIY gift-making, wood-fired pizza, gardening, bicycle maintenance, yoga, cricket, soccer game, programming for kids, pottery, photography, i-phone skills, treasure hunts are all possible.
How is money raised?
Costs are covered by the activity. Sometimes school resources/facilities enable the activity. Sometimes local business may support activities. A good example is the Gap Ninja Warrior 2018 night where 60 participants raised over $700, with support from Moon Lee Tae Kwon-Do and Ritual HQ Gym Watch the video. The P&C approve activities, arrange insurance, support bookings, disburse collected monies, and report annually.
What’s happening in 2019? Download the program here
- Ping pong and board games fun night Friday 08 March 6pm with Steve. Book PingPong
- Making bush hand tools with Bruce Sunday 12 May, 9am FULLY BOOKED
- Gap Ninja Warrior 2019 Friday 19 July 6:30pm with David. Book here for Ninja
- Art therapy “paint and pour” with Gayle. Thursday 25 July 7pm. Book Paint’n’Pour
- Enoggera Reservoir Walk with Leigh Sunday 11 August 7am Book Resie Walk
- Skateboarding with Skateboard Australia and Steve Toomey Saturday 31 August 3:30-5:30pm Book Skateboarding
- The Gap Cheese Fest with David (Sunday 8 September, 2pm, Nichols Household, The Gap) Book Cheese Fest
- Nia Cultural Dance event with Rebecca (Friday, September 13 6:30pm , JA Robertson Hall Book Nia Cultural
- The Gap Nerf Wars with David (Wednesday 23rd October 4pm, Sports Hall) Book Nerf Wars
- Beer tasting and appreciation with Roland (October, to confirm, offsite)
- Leadership centre parents team challenge with Ben and Anne (confirm)
More information: Please contact Steven Kenway (TGSHS P&C) A4A@tgshspandc.org.au 0419 979 468.
(Note: we are always seeking additional activity hosts – contact Steve if interested)