Community activity, fundraising for great student activities.
The A4A program is a parent-driven initiative which aims to enable new and diverse activities for students. It does this by parents hosting fun activities for other parents, students and the community in order to raise funds. The aim is to support new and varied experiences for TGSHS students. The program taps into the skills and interests of the community to support engagement, entrepreneurial leadership, creativity, innovation, and well-being. Watch the video. Or See school website.
How does it work?
In brief, parents (or others) volunteer to run “activities” for parents, and/or children/staff. Activities can be run anywhere, including at school. A small per-person fee is paid by participants. The activities are as diverse as human interests: DIY gift-making, wood-fired pizza, gardening, bicycle maintenance, yoga, cricket, soccer game, programming for kids, pottery, photography, i-phone skills, treasure hunts are all possible.
How is money raised?
Costs are covered by the activity. Sometimes school resources/facilities enable the activity. Sometimes local business may support activities. A good example is the Gap Ninja Warrior 2018 night where 60 participants raised over $700, with support from Moon Lee Tae Kwon-Do and Ritual HQ Gym Watch the video. The P&C approve activities, arrange insurance, support bookings, disburse collected monies, and report annually.
What’s happening in 2020? (Bookings and information)
• Year 7 Parent Welcome Gathering (Friday 31 January, 6pm, $15).
• The Gap Nerf Wars with David (Tuesday 10 March 4pm, Sports Hall).
• Leadership centre team challenge with Ben, Anne and Steve (Wednesday, 29 April, 5pm).
• Enoggera Reservoir Walk with Leigh (Sunday, 17 May 7am at the Reservoir).
• Nia Cultural Dance with Rebecca (Friday, 7 Aug, 6:30pm, JA Robertson Hall).
• Bushdance for 60th Anniversary, led by whole school, (Friday 12 June)
• The Gap Cheese Fest with David (Sunday 16 August, 2pm, Nichols Household, The Gap)
• Art therapy “paint and pour” with Gayle. (Thursday 10 September, 7pm in Art Block).
More information: Please contact Steven Kenway (TGSHS P&C) A4A@tgshspandc.org.au 0419 979 468.
(Note: we are always seeking additional activity hosts – contact Steve if interested)