The Uniform Working Group (UWG) was formed at the start of Term 2 2018, following on from concerns expressed by some parents at the start of the year that the school’s uniform requirements were unclear. The purpose of the UWG was to review and consolidate documentation setting out the school’s uniform requirements, and provide recommendations to the P & C Association on any updates required to the school’s Uniform Policy. Please click here for the Uniform Working Group’s page and related links.
The UWG has undertaken the following work to date:
- Initial survey of students and parents to identify broad attitudes to uniform requirements, areas of concern and relevant factors to consider in reviewing the school’s uniform policy.
- Review of existing documentation, legislation and Education Queensland policies that prescribe or influence uniform standard.
- Investigation and review of uniform policies and standards in comparative schools.
- Investigation of appropriate options for clothing and footwear.
- Revision and consolidation of the school’s uniform standards into a single document, with updates proposed as considered necessary.
- Reporting to P & C Association
The initial survey conducted in Term 2 identified that:
- Approximately 60% of respondents agreed that the current uniform requirements were clear, indicating that major revisions to the school’s uniform policy were unnecessary.
- Areas that were identified requiring clarification or updates were:
- Provision of a gender neutral uniform option.
- Basis for exemption (short or long term) to be applied.
- Clearer expectations for appearance.
- Clearer footwear requirements.
- Enforcement of uniform standards.
- A large majority of respondents to the initial survey agreed that consistent enforcement of the school’s uniform policy was important, and that student safety and inclusion were important, tending to indicate a broad level of support for clear uniform requirements that met WHS requirements and which could be consistently enforced by the school.
- A majority of respondents supported the introduction of a gender neutral option.
The draft uniform policy is now available for your review, and the UWG would appreciate your feedback on this document. Feedback can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is also a further short survey which has been emailed to parents, carers, students and staff regarding specific aspects of the proposed uniform policy. The survey closes on Monday, 20 August 2018.
The new uniform policy proposes 2 formal uniform options, introducing a shorts and pants option that is suitable for girls. As announced recently by the Principal, these new shorts and pants styles will be available to pre-order for the start of the 2019 school year. Samples of the new shorts are now available for viewing at the Uniform Shop. Information on how to order the new shorts and pants is available through this link or you can complete the form and return it to email@example.com.
While a wholesale redesign of the school uniform was not within the scope of the UWGs role, feedback obtained during this review has identified some items of the school uniform which could be improved upon. The survey via Survey Monkey also seeks your feedback on items of the existing uniform that could be improved, to continue a consultation process in 2019 on preferred alternate designs for individual uniform items.